Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Writing Prompt

Writing Prompt: Choose one of your physical features and write how you can change or disguise that feature.

Physical feature: My birthmark

I am often surprised when someone first notices my birthmark but has known me for a long time. I feel like it is the first thing people notice. Maybe because when I was younger it was bigger and people would often ask me "what is that on your face?"

I'm not sure why I have been ashamed of my birthmark. Mostly because it was different and I felt looked weird. My mom would tell me when I was younger that it was where an angel kissed me because I was so cute and they couldn't resist. My mom is the best. :)

When I was a baby it looked like I had a strawberry on the side of my cheek. Now it is not as noticeable but you can still see it.

I know this is an absolutely silly thing to be concerned about. Today I don't really think twice about people seeing my birthmark. If they do I just smile and tell them what it is, not letting it bother me but instead being happy it is still noticeable. Isn't that funny? I went through all of my life trying my best to hide it with different hairstyles and makeup. Now that you almost can't see it anymore, I kind of miss it! 

I guess it just kind of teaches you a lesson. There may be "flaws" we think we have with ourselves. Things we try to hide because they are weird or not what everyone else has. For example, I have often wanted to get a nose job. I couldn't stand the bump in it and the size. Now, knowing what I do about my birthmark I don't think I would get a nose job even if someone paid for me to have one. It is what makes me who I am. Yes I could get a nose that is more "prettier" and like the celebrities but that wouldn't be the one God created for me. It would almost be loosing a part of who I am. 

So, do I still put makeup on my birthmark? Yes, when I put makeup on my face I do cover my birthmark. However, when I am doing day to day tasks and not wearing makeup I don't work to hide it anymore. No more concealer on no make up days. 

Is there a physical feature that you hide? Is there something that you work hard to hide? How do you hide it? If so try and remember:

picture from motivationtohabit tumblr

~ Abbey Carmen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!! :)