Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Chalkboard Fun

My family and I moved into a new house about a year ago. I have never decorated a new home, but I really enjoy learning new things to do and creative ways to decorate each room. I have been going pretty slowly with each room but I love taking my time with decorating and deciding what I like best. Today I wanted to share with you my favorite project I have done so far.

My son's room was the first room I did because I was excited to decorate his first room. He was only four months old when we moved in, but I wanted his room to be something he could grow into and we wouldn't have to change right away. I chose to do somewhat of a big boy room with a sports theme. I also wanted him to have something fun and try something different in his room. I have always thought a chalkboard would be a lot of fun for a little boy to draw on with his friends and cousins. I did like the magnetic primer idea too, so I chose to do both! I thought for a special touch I could add a shelf above the board to put pictures, and maybe later his trophies! :)

Here is the chalkboard in his room:
As you can see from the picture his mommy, daddy, grandparents, aunts and uncles are having the most fun with the chalkboard right now. :) He is learning though and loves to draw on it. What is great is I don't have to worry about him drawing on the walls because it wipes off! This was a pretty easy project, and I love the way it turned out. All you have to do is get magnetic primer and chalkboard paint. I suggest the Rust-Oleum specialty magnetic primer:


 The box suggests 3 thin coats instead of 2 heavy coats, but I suggest 5 coats. I had heard from other blogs that need a lot of coats for magnets to stick. After the primer is fully dry I added the chalkboard paint. You also have to do quite a few coats of this too. I then got trim and a board for the shelf and painted them white. After they were dry my fiance put them up with a nail gun, I was a little nervous to try the nail gun. It actually didn't look to hard though. After the trim around the chalk board was up we added the shelf! I was a little nervous to try this out, but it was so worth it!! Most magnets stick and the chalk wipes off easily! I definitely recommend doing this in one of your rooms! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!! :)